Monday, November 8, 2010

What's With The Cattitude (OPI Shrek) ...


This isn't the Opi Shrek "cattitude" polish.  These are my fandango nails.

I'm not a nail-polish-pro-slash-know-it-all.  I might be slightly addicted at this moment.  I remember watching an E! Red Carpet show a while back and they were critiquing Rhianna and mentioned that she was wearing bright neon blue nail polish with a matching dress - and I thought how cool - but not me ... I thought about how I used to be so into it when I was younger, but how I was now so "over it!"

I think this is a neon colour (Turned Up Turquoise by China Glaze) - I thought it looked much better in real life!


Later on, I saw that supermodel Heidi chick on Oprah wearing grey nail polish, telling Oprah it was the latest shade ... and thinking ... "Hmmm, coool"  (but Oprah REALLY didn't like it).  About a month later I saw my sister-in-law wearing grey nail polish.  Ho-hum, nothing clicked at that point ... just slightly interested.

"Chinchilly" by Essie - I really liked this!  And then got bored of it when I saw what else there was.

 Then in July 2010 I saw my mum painting her nails for some 'thing' we were going to.  Again, I reminisced about how I liked to madly paint my nails with my mad cousin when I was younger - we didn't use base or topcoats (didn't know about them) so our nails went yellow all the time, harhar!  But we were really blardy good at painting our nails - perfect every time I tell you!!  And I looked through my mum's small polish collection, looking for a colour to paint my nails - she had kinda boring neutrals ... but I saw this orange that I thought was sorta out there ... I don't think they had orange back in the day.

I think this is called "Dance Craze" and it's from L.A. Girl's DISCO BRITES collection (they glow under blacklight ... apparently) - I thought it was garish when I put it on; 2nd time around, I was kind of used to ... if not INto ... garish, lol!


So probably the week after, I went on to TradeMe and - without even knowing what Opi was, but knowing what Shrek was - I bought 3 bottles of Opi's Shrek-movies-inspired nail polishes "for my daughters."  I got the stuff, put it on, and was like: "WOW - snot green nail polish, WOW" ... and from that point I've kind of lost it!  I kept saying it was for my daughters or my mum ... but now it's all just FOR ME!!!   Well, I get a few bits and bobs for my sister-in-law, and I paint 2 of my dear friend's nails and have got them into it as well.

This isn't the Shrek nail polish - these are my fandango nailz (painted with China Glaze's "2NITE" shade from their OMG collection) against some of my jewellery "collection" (I think I was maybe addicted to collecitng jewellery prior to catching this nail polish buzz).

But seriously ... I've kinda lost it ... after 10 or 15 years of not touching the stuff ... I've gone absolutely mad for it ... AMAZED at all the different COLOURS, SHADES of colours, FORMULATIONS ... the THINGS this stuff can do!

And now all the FABBOH brands - back in the whenever it was I used to paint my nails hard out, we'd buy Revlon and L'oreal - and Streetwear was the coolest brand - and then there was all these other random bottles of nail polish that I'd get from the markets at Auckland Uni or Aotea Square; who knows what they were - or where they are now ... I probably chucked them all in the bin one day.  Well now, I can't believe all the different brands that you can get - MIND YOU, may I add that you can't get them in New Zealand ... but I WILL get them, oh yes I will!

I really like Butter London - this is the first bottle of Butter London that I've been able to get: "I Heart Nails" - a shade they created especially for Harvey Nichols (and I think it was a complimentary gift ... but I had to buy it off eBay); you can't get Butter London in New Zealand - that I know of - and the website doesn't ship to NZ - I have found two websites that will ship here though =)
Anyway, because I was admiring them so much and thinking what a waste when I removed it coz now if I ever want to wear it again I won't remember what it looks like ... AND because I like taking photos - and I thought taking photos whilst doing the housework and admiring my nails at the same time would make the whole process of making a bed, putting clothes away, picking up toys a lot more interesting ... I took these pix:

(this is the Shrek nail polish - or one of them - from Opi's "Shrek Forever After" Collection, NH Spring 2010)
"What's With the Cattitude?"
Isn't it nice?  And so that's where it started ... 2 months later, madness has set in, but more about that later ... maybe ... well, probably not.  I'll take some pix of the other colours in this collection next ... well, probably not as well ... but it'll be of some other interesting shade =)

No comments:

Post a Comment